IDEO.org is seeking a DEI consultant to partner with us to guide us as we continue to work on becoming the anti-racist and anti-colonialist organization that we must be to realize our mission. This includes: developing a 5-year vision for our organization, setting 1, 3, and 5-year goals, and supporting our leadership team, board, and team to make progress.
IDEO.org is a 10 year old nonprofit design studio whose mission is to design a more just and equitable world. We are a team of 65 people based in Nairobi, New York, and San Francisco. We partner with foundations, nonprofits, governments, and companies to design solutions to challenges like access to reproductive health, women’s economic empowerment, digital financial services, livelihoods for farmers, health equity, and access to economic opportunity.
Over the past several months, we have invested in a number of initiatives to understand our progress, gaps, and challenges when it comes to DEI today, including reflecting on the results of our biannual staff survey and conducting an internal synthesis of our DEI initiatives to date and the most pressing areas in which we’ve struggled to make significant progress. We are now looking for a consultant or organization to build upon this foundational work to get us to a clear strategy with defined outcomes for the short, mid, and long term.
We are seeking a partner who is able to ask the tough questions, push our thinking, and get us to a bold and audacious vision for what our organization has the opportunity to become. In addition to delivering a strategy and goals, we are looking for a partner or partners to help us achieve this vision through facilitating dialogues and providing training for our board, leadership, and full team over the course of 2021.
• A bold and audacious vision for what a more equitable, anti-racist, and anti-colonialist IDEO.org looks like in 2026
• A strategy which helps us chart the path to get there
• A set of goals and indicators at the 1, 3, and 5 year marks to ensure we’re holding ourselves accountable to achieving the vision
• A select set of assets or tools to help us translate the strategy into practice (these could include things like principles for working in new markets, onboarding materials, recruiting guidelines, etc.)
• A learning and development plan and approach to support employee capacity building
• An initial round of customized capacity building workshops/training sessions for our full team, leadership team, and board. Additional workshops/training may be added in the future.
We acknowledge the time needed to express interest as well as the ways that additional context and relationship building can inform the development of a scope of work. We’d ask for interested parties to submit the following key information via a 1 - 3 page overview or request to share this information via video/phone. Please submit your proposal or schedule a call by Friday, April 9, 2021. Please send your proposal to email@example.com.
• An overview of your organization including a link to your website (if available)
• General description explaining your work, specialties and backgrounds of the individual(s) who might lead the work
• A description of the approach that you would take in leading this project including key milestones and estimated time frames.
• An estimated range of hours and rate per hour, or alternatively, a specific fee for service, to determine the budget for the project
• Two references of past clients, ideally for similar work with contacts and context
Our guiding criteria for selecting a consultant
1. Black, Indigenous, and People of Color representation at a leadership level
2. Experience working in both the United States and East Africa
3. Deep understanding of equity and anti-oppression work
4. Participatory approach which engages team members at all levels
5. Expertise in developing a DEI strategy and tangible goals and supporting teams to implement policy and cultural changes
6. Experience developing an organizational learning and development plan for boards, leadership teams, and organizational staff–including curriculum development and instruction and facilitation.
7. Desired, but not required experience includes work with design firms or creative organizations and experience with social impact organizations, global development players, and/or nonprofits.
We are open to firms, individuals, and/or consortia. We would also consider bringing together one individual/firm with experience in East Africa with one with experience in the U.S. to jointly complete this work. Applicants will be selected based on alignment with IDEO.org’s goals and budget and relevancy of past experience. Please direct any preliminary questions to Sadie Guttman at firstname.lastname@example.org.